Sunday, May 10, 2009

Oh, hey.

Wow, I guess it's been a while since I've written anything. Soooo back in March I went to Austin for my first SXSW. You could say it was an alright time. There were definitely a few highlights but due to the free beer which I seemingly kept stumbling upon all week long, I can't say that I maintained the most vivid recollection of all of them. Here's what I do happen to remember:

~following this Danish band around to each one of the four shows they played that weekend

~Peter Broderick's humble wizardry

~singing along with some guy from Vermont's cover of R Kelly's "Relief" on the 17th floor lounge of Downtown Austin's Hilton hotel

~getting a little bit loose to Rio de Janeiro's best dj's in some weird, ultra-plush, upscale bar

~the celebration that is Akron/Family. I've got a feeling that those guys aren't capable of having a bad time.

~seeing Handsome Furs back-to-back with American Analog Set at the Insound party. I know, sounds strange, but it was perfect.

~Jerry Fuchs from Maserati. That guy is a monster. Well, the rest of the band is too but Fuch!

~This Will Destroy You

~sad, ol' Daniel Johnston. To be honest, the majority of his set was quite miserable to see but somehow it was completely redeeming when he played "Living Life."

~the chaos ensuing from hundreds of kids piled on top of each other at the No Age show at Ms. Bea's.

~hearing about how one of my childhood BMX heroes, Joe Rich, challenged my friend Erin to a bike race after she left one of the shows we were at.

~Whole Foods on Lamar and an incredible coffee shop/cafe near South Congress which I've since forgotten the name of.

And lots more, of course. Unfortunately my camera wasn't working so I failed to actually document most of these things, though I'm pretty sure there's gotta be sufficient pictures and videos of a lot of the shows considering how packed things seemed at this year's SXSW. All in all, the weekend was a great time and I wouldn't have changed a thing, though it definitely felt nice to come home after what was basically a non-stop 96-hour music festival and a combined 24 hours worth of driving, over the course of five days or so. Maybe next time I'll actually write about the experience sooner and not come home picture-less. Thanks Erin and Jennifer and Adan for the company, and Carla for letting me crash on your floor. See you next year, Austin. Hopefully.

1 comment:

leafless said...

that is just great.

humble wizardry... you're so funny